Poetry Pond
This is my paper, my mind is the pen

THE GOAL:

ONE POEM PER WEEK

.

Friday, November 19, 2004

I wrote this poem because lately I've been listening to a lot of bluegrass music, especially bluegrass collaborations with Irish and Celtic musicians. Bluegrass and other mountain music of America came into being, it's been said, out of the music that the Scotch-Irish immigrants brought with them from Europe. Somehow, the fiddle tunes and songs morphed into what we now know as traditional American folk and country music.

With this in mind, I started thinking of what music might have meant to one of those Irish immigrants in his first few months deep in the mountains of a strange and foreign new land, a new home. Music played on the instruments the immigrants both carried with them and discovered in their new home must have kept them sane, kept them from missing their home too much. Music must have provided them that one last link between their old country and their new one. Obviously, music continues to be important to the descendants of these Irish and Scottish settlers, even if it sounds a lot different. So, in honor of these hardy immigrants and the music they shared with America, I've written the following poem.

Homesick Immigrant Blues

I miss my home and I miss my sea
I miss the green rolling hills
I miss all the things I left behind
For chasing foreign thrills

I wanted to stay but hunger was fierce
I cried when we left the shore
But now I seek my fortunes here
I thirst to find my more

America is a big, strange land
So wild, so free, so bright
I found myself a little farm
Yet I miss my home at night

When I think about old Ireland
And what I left behind
I pick up my trusty violin
And it brings me peace of mind

I play my jigs and reels and airs
I play what I learned as a lad
I play for those still poor and starved
I play for my mum and dad

posted by:Russ at 8:08 PM | Post Page | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


<< Designed by Ryon